JOIN TunaSnax!
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I can't stay logged in! (Read 183 times)
Desktop Gaming
Krill Seeker
hugorslap?

No. of posts: 71
I can't stay logged in!
on: February 03, 2009, 07:44:55 pm

Every time I visit the site - even if the visits are 10 mins apart - I have to log in.

I have the auto login thing checked. I have cookies enabled.

Happens to me on both my dev PCs, haven't tried on the others.
Northern Star
Captain Birdseye
(Administrator)
hugorslap?

Re: I can't stay logged in!
Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 12:53:15 am

Hi there,

Sorry to hear of your problems, we've not made any changes to cookie setting on the site recently, so it may be a browser problem. I've read a few things about Firefox 3 having probs lately.

Just a few quick questions and things to try:

1. Are you on Firefox 3? - If so then try removing the cookies.sqlite file as detailed in this post:
http://www.strictlyphp.com/blog/2008/12/27/firefox-does-not-save-cookies/

2. If you're not using FF3 which browser are you using and do any other browsers you have on the same computers do the same thing?

3. If possible, could you see if closing and re-opening the browser cancels the cookies or if it seems to be a certain amount of time before they expire while your browser is still open.

4. Do any other websites exhibit the same problem for you?

Feel free to PM me if you have any other queries or just reply to this message. Hope that helps! If you find a fix do let us know.
Desktop Gaming
Krill Seeker
hugorslap?

Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 05:28:57 pm

Forgot about this thread!

Been PM'ing StationBob about it today, and figured out the problem.

I've been typing "tunasnax.com", because I'm lazy when it comes to typing. That doesn't automatically forward to tunasnax.com.

I can login just fine at https://tunasnax.com, but cookies are not handled correctly when I do, so I need to login every time. That's peculiar because you're only setting the cookie in the same way as you are on the www subdomain. All you're doing is using SetCookie() with the cookie name/contents, right? The hostname shouldn't make any difference.

Anyhoo, I think we're cleared up for now. Or we will be when SB reads his PMs tomorrow.

Hugs (3) stationBob (9.Feb.09) sillytuna (7.Feb.09) Northern Star (7.Feb.09)

Slaps (0)

Northern Star
Captain Birdseye
(Administrator)
hugorslap?

Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 12:05:11 am

Hi there,

Thanks for the info, I think that's where the problem was.

I've set up a rewrite rule to add the www. at the beginning of the domain name if it's not there.

Previously, when logging in without the www at the start, the site would set the cookie to tunasnax.com and redirect you to the pages with the www, making it work. But going back to tunasnax.com without the www resulted in the cookie not being recognised on that domain.

So now you can still just type in tunasnax.com and it will automatically change to tunasnax.com and everything should be fine.

Thanks for helping with the diagnosis!

Desktop Gaming
Krill Seeker
hugorslap?

Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 12:34:54 pm

Just checked again and it seems to be working fine now.

Hugs (1) stationBob (9.Feb.09)

Slaps (0)

stationBob
Captain Birdseye
(Administrator)
hugorslap?

Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 09:47:46 am

Thanks very much for your help identifying this one Desktop - you're a model member

Quote from: Desktop Gaming on February 08, 2009, 12:34:54 pm
Just checked again and it seems to be working fine now.

Never eat anything larger than your head. No really, it's not a good idea.
Pages: [1]
Jump to: